Lentils & Goat Cheese Salad
- 1 cup dry lentils, French green-variety, washed, picked over to remove debris
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 small uncooked red onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 Tbsp mint leaves, fresh, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/4 cup semi-soft goat cheese, crumbled
- Place lentils in a medium saucepan and pour over enough water to cover lentils by 2 to 3 inches. Add bay leaves and set pan over high heat; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and partially cover pan; simmer until lentils are tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Drain lentils; discard bay leaves and transfer lentils to a large bowl.
- While lentils are still warm, stir in onion and mint; season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle cheese over salad just before serving; serve warm or chilled. Yields about 1/2 cup per serving.