Upside Down Pineapple Muffins
- 2 (20-ounce) cans sliced pineapple, drained
- 1 (8-1/2 ounce) can sliced pineapple, drained
- 24 maraschino cherries
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 (18.25-ounce) package white cake mix
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 egg whites
- 1 (20-ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained, with juice reserved
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat 24 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Place a pineapple ring in bottom of each cup. (Pineapple will come up the sides.) Place a cherry in center of each pineapple ring and sprinkle each with an equal amount of brown sugar; set aside.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat cake mix, oil, egg whites, and reserved pineapple juice until well combined. Stir in crushed pineapple and divide mixture evenly among muffin cups.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden. Allow to cool 15 minutes, then invert muffins onto a baking sheet. Allow to cool, then serve, or cover until ready to serve.
Recipe from the kitchen of Mr. Food.