Baked Ziti with Turkey Sausage
- 3/4 pound uncooked turkey sausages, spicy-variety, casings removed
- 1 medium uncooked onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 28 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 10 oz frozen green peas, thawed
- 2 Tablespoons canned tomato paste
- 1 Teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 Teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 Teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 12 oz uncooked whole-wheat pasta, ziti, cooked according to package directions
- 6 oz. shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Position the rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Crumble the sausage meat into a large saucepan and brown over medium heat, stirring often, about 4 minutes.
- Drain off any fat, then add the onion and bell pepper. Cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, peas, tomato paste, oregano, basil, thyme, fennel seeds, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat and cook uncovered 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in the cooked pasta and half the cheese. Spread evenly into a 9-x13-inch baking pan. Top evenly with the remaining cheese.
- Bake until the cheese has melted and the casserole is bubbling, about 20 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes at room temperature before slicing into 8 pieces.