Loaded Baked Potato Chowder
- 2 yellow onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- 10 Yukon gold potatoes
- 1 Jalapeno
- 2 cups reduced-fat milk
- 2 teaspoons chicken concentrate
- 1/2 pound Bacon
- 1/2 cup Shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- Salt & Pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Wash and dry produce. Halve, peel, and cut onion into a small dice. Peel and finely chop garlic. Dice potatoes into 1/2-inch pieces. Finely chop jalapeno until you have 2 tablespoons, removing ribs and seeds for less heat.
- Melt butter in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until softened, 4-5 minutes. Add flour; cook, stirring, until lightly browned, 1 minute.
- Slowly stir milk into pot a small splash at a time until fully incorporated. Stir in 2-1/2 cups water. Add potatoes and stock concentrate; season generously with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are very tender, 12-15 minutes.
- While potatoes cook, place bacon in a single layer in a large, dry pan over medium heat. Cook, flipping occasionally, until crispy, 8-12 minutes. Turn off heat; transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate. Once cool enough to handle, finely chop.
- Once potatoes are very tender, reduce heat to low and mash to desired consistency. Mash until almost smooth, with some small potato pieces still in there. Stir in half the chopped bacon and half the cheese. Season generously with salt and pepper. If chowder seems too thick, stir in a splash of warm water.
- Divide chowder between bowls; top with sour cream, remaining chopped bacon, remaining cheese, and as much chopped jalapeno as you like.