Chicken Sausage Penne Italiano
- 2 Green Peppers
- 6 cloves Garlic
- 12 ounces Penne Rigatoni
- 1 pound chicken sausage
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Wash and dry produce. Core, deseed, and cut green pepper into a medium dice. Peel and finely chop garlic. Heat a drizzle of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add green pepper and season with salt. Cook, stirring, until browned and slightly softened, 4-5 minutes.
- Once water is boiling, add pasta to pot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until al dente, 9-11 minutes. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta cooking water, then drain.
- While pasta cooks, add garlic to pan with green pepper; cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add sausage; cook, breaking up meat into pieces, until browned and cooked through, 4-6 minutes. Stir in tomato paste; cook 1 minute more.
- Stir 3/4 cup plain water into pan with sausage mixture. Simmer until thickened, 3-4 minutes. Reduce heat to low and stir in cream cheese, half the Parmesan (save the rest for serving), and 2 tablespoons butter until melted and combined. Season with salt.
- Add drained pasta to pan with sauce; toss until thoroughly coated. If sauce is too thick, add splashes of reserved pasta cooking water as needed. Taste and season with salt.
- Divide pasta between bowls and top with remaining Parmesan.