Asparagus Bacon Strata
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 4 slices uncooked turkey bacon, diced
- 1/2 cup uncooked onion, diced
- 2 cups uncooked fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 spray cooking spray
- 6 slices reduced-calorie whole wheat bread
- 4 large eggs
- 5 large egg whites
- 3/4 cups fat free skim milk
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 cup low fat shredded cheddar cheese, about 4 oz
- Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook, stirring, until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Add onion and asparagus; sauté until vegetable are soft, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove vegetables from pan and set aside.
- Preheat broiler.
- Off heat, coat same skillet with cooking spray. Arrange bread slices tightly in bottom of skillet.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, milk, mustard, salt and pepper; pour over bread and allow milk mixture to soak in entirely (like when you make French toast). Sprinkle bread with 1 tablespoon of Parmesan cheese.
- Place skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Cook, shaking pan frequently to promote even cooking, until almost cooked through to the top, about 4 or 5 minutes.
- Place skillet under broiler to set eggs, about 2 minutes. Remove skillet from broiler; top with bacon-vegetable mixture, cheddar cheese and remaining tablespoon of Parmesan cheese. Place skillet under broiler again until cheese melts, about 1 to 2 minutes. Slice into 6 pieces and serve.