Easy Spinach Quiche
- 1 9-inch refrigerated crust
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 4 large eggs
- 1-1/4 cups heavy cream
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup (4 oz) finely shredded Gruyère, packed
- 1-1/2 cups roughly chopped, fresh baby spinach
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and set a rack in the middle position. Place the pie crust in a pie pan and prick the bottom and sides all over with a fork (pricking about an inch apart). Bake until fully cooked and lightly golden, 10 to 15 minutes. Set aside and turn oven down to 325°F.
- Heat the butter in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Cook the shallots until soft and translucent, about 8 minutes. Do not brown. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, heavy cream, nutmeg, salt and cayenne pepper.
- Spread the shallots over the bottom of the cooked crust, then sprinkle the shredded Gruyere over top. Scatter the spinach evenly over cheese. Pour the egg and cream mixture over top.
- Bake at 325°F degrees for 50 to 55 minutes until the custard is set and top is lightly golden. Serve hot or warm.
Variations: Swap out the spinach, shallots and Gruyere for any combination you like. Some tasty combinations are ham, chives and cheddar cheese; sausage, broccoli and swiss; bacon, asparagus and Gruyere.