Caramelized Onion Dip
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 large sweet onions, finely chopped (about 8 cups)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Two 16-ounce containers sour cream
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 5 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- Ruffled potato chips, to serve
- Add the oil to a skillet turn the heat to medium-high. Add the onions, and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 3 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring occasionally, until deeply browned and very soft, about 30 minutes. Spoon the onions into a large bowl. Stir in the vinegar. Let stand until cooled to room temperature, about 30 minutes. Technique tip: Make sure you gently cook the onions and add a bit of salt, which will help pull out the moisture in the onion and intensify its sweetness.
- Add the sour cream, salt, pepper, and 1/4 cup of the chives to the onions; stir until well combined. Top with the remaining chives. Serve chilled or at room temperature with the potato chips.
Recipe from the kitchen of Char Kyle.