Crispy Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Sweet potatoes - about 1 per person
- Corn starch. A big sprinkle's worth.
- Olive oil. A couple of tablespoons or so. Enough to lightly and evenly coat the fries.
- Salt, pepper and spices. Try cumin, cayenne pepper, paprika, garlic or curry powder.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into fry-shaped pieces. Try to cut them into similarly sized pieces so the fries will bake evenly.
- Toss the uncooked fries into a mixing bowl. Sprinkle with cornstarch and pour in a few tablespoons of olive oil, enough to lightly coat the fries. Season with salt, pepper, and spices. Mix to distribute evenly (corn starch should be evenly mixed in so there are no powdery spots).
- Pour the fries directly onto a non-stick baking sheet. Arrange your fries in a single layer and don't overcrowd, otherwise they will never crisp up.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then flip the fries so they can cook on all sides.
- Bake for 10 to 15 more minutes, or until the fries are crispy. It's essential to bake them long enough, otherwise they won't be crispy. Don't worry if the edges are a little bit brown; they will taste more caramelized than burnt.