Sally Lunn Bread
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1-1/2 cups lukewarm millk (scalded, then cooled)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in large mixer bowl. Add milk, sugar, salt, eggs, shortening and 2-1/2 cups flour. Beat on low speed, scraping bowl constantly, 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally, 2 minutes. Stir in remaining flour until smooth. Scrape batter from side of bowl. Cover and let rise in warm place until double, 40 to 60 minutes.
- Stir down batter by beating about 25 strokes. Spread in well-greased tube pan, 10x4 inches. Cover; let rise until double, 30 to 40 minutes. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Bake until golden brown and crusty, 50 to 60 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Serve with margarine or butter if desired.
Recipe from Betty Crocker's International Cookbook