Cheesesteak-Style Sloppy Joes
- 1 long green pepper
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons beef concentrate
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- 4 potato buns
- Core, deseed, and dice green pepper into 1/2-inch pieces. Peel and finely chop garlic. In a small bowl, combine mustard, stock concentrate, ketchup and 1/2 cup water.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add green pepper and cook, stirring, until softened and lightly charred, 5-7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in same pan over medium-high heat. Add beef and season with salt and pepper. Cook, breaking up meat into pieces, until browned and cooked through, 4-5 minutes. If there's excess grease in your pan, carefully pour it out. Add garlic, butter and flour. Cook, stirring, until garlic is fragrant and flour is incorporated, about 1 minute.
- Stir mustard mixture into pan with beef. Bring to a simmer and cook until sauce has slightly reduced and beef is thoroughly coated, 1 minute. Turn off heat and sprinkle with cheese. Cover pan to melt cheese.
- While cheese melts, halve and toast buns. Divide buns between plates and fill with beef mixture and green pepper.
Recipe from the kitchen of Every Plate.