Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 (2 count) package ready made pie crust dough
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 2 cups organic chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken breasts, shredded (rotisserie chicken meat it is more flavorful)
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1⁄3 cup frozen peas and carrot
- 15 ounces diced potatoes (canned)
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms (canned)
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon thyme or 1 teaspoon tarragon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 425. Thaw veggies, bring crusts to room temperature.
- Melt butter in large saucepan on medium heat. Add onion and saute until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add flour and stir to incorporate, this is your roux. Gradually stir in broth and milk. Bring to a simmer. Cook until thick and bubbly.
- Add veggies, herbs and chicken. Stir to incorporate. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place one pie crust in bottom of pie plate.
- Pour in contents from saucepan.
- Top with second pie crust, sealing around edges and flute. Cut several slits in top of crust to vent.
- Bake 20 minutes, then cover crust edge with foil to prevent burning. Continue to cook for 20 more minutes until crust is golden brown.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe from the kitchen of Shelby Quick.