Cheesy Zucchini Casserole
- 2 to 3 zucchini, sliced into half moons about 1/4-inch thick (you will need 6 cups total)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper, or to taste
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter, sliced into 1/4-inch thick pieces
- chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Grease a 9-inch baking dish with butter.
- Add the sliced zucchini to the baking dish and sprinkle with salt; mix and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together the heavy cream, eggs, parmesan cheese, garlic, basil, nutmeg, and ground pepper.
- Layer 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese over the zucchini. Pour the prepared cream sauce over the zucchini and scatter pieces of butter over the zucchini and sauce.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for 7 to 10 more minutes, or until bubbly, browned, and zucchini is tender. Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley; Cut and serve.
Recipe from the kitchen of Diethood.