Skip to main content
Bread Machine Soft Pretzels
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 3-1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup baking soda
- Kosher salt
Recipe from the kitchen of The Spruce Eats.
- Place the first five ingredients in your bread machine in the order specified by the manufacturer. Set the machine to the dough cycle.
- When cycle is complete, turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and let it rest a few minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 475 F. Get out two baking sheets, and place a rack over a third baking sheet.
- Divide dough into 12 to 14 equal pieces. Roll each piece out to a 15-inch rope.
- Make a U with each rope, then cross the ends. Pick up the ends and twist, then fold up to make a pretzel shape. Pinch to seal. Place the pretzels on the salted baking sheets.
- Place 2 quarts of water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Add the baking soda, then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Slide 2 to 3 pretzels at a time into the baking soda bath. Let them simmer about 2 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove the pretzels. Transfer to the cooling rack. Sprinkle with kosher salt.
- When all of the pretzels have come out of the baking soda bath, transfer them to the salted baking sheets.
- Bake 8 to 12 minutes until golden brown.
Post a Comment