Homemade Tomato Soup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 Vidalia onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 fresh basil, chopped
- 2 pounds tomatoes, cored and seeded or 1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- chopped fresh basil, for garnish
- croutons, for garnish
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Add onion; cook 5 minutes, until softened, stirring often. Stir in garlic, basil and bay leaf; cook 30 seconds. Stir in tomatoes and their juices and brown sugar. Bring to a boil. reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally and mashing tomatoes against the side of the bowl. Remove bay leaf.
- Transfer mixture to a blender. Puree until smooth. Return to pot over medium heat. Stir in broth and warm through. Add heavy cream and season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish each serving with chopped basil and croutons.
Variation: Add 2 medium red sweet peppers, coarsely chopped or 2 carrots, chopped.
Post a Comment