Dylan Dreyer's Stuffed Peppers
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground sweet Italian sausage
- 1 can French's Original Crispy Fried Onions
- One 3-ounce can black olives, sliced
- 1 cup white rice, uncooked
- 16-ounce jar of your favorite marinara sauce
- 3 large bell peppers, seeds removed, sliced vertically through the stem
- One 8-ounce package of shredded mozzarella (there will be some left over for snacking)
- Olive oil
- Sauté the diced onion, carrots and zucchini in 2 tablespoons of olive oil for about 8-10 minutes, or until the veggies soften. Season with salt and pepper.
- Once the veggies are tender, add in the ground beef and sausage. Cook the meat until it's brown, breaking it up and mixing it into the veggies.
- Add in two handfuls of crumbled, crispy fried onions, chopped olives, uncooked rice and marinara sauce. Stir everything together, ensuring that the dry rice is well coated in sauce.
- Place pepper halves cut side up in a baking dish. Fill each pepper with as much filling as possible. If there's any extra filling, just add it in around the peppers.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake at 400 degrees for about 45 minutes, or until the peppers are tender.
- Carefully remove the foil (the dish will be steamy), then top each pepper with more crispy fried onions and sprinkle on some mozzarella cheese. Pop the baking dish back into the oven for about 5 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove the stuffed peppers from the oven and let cool for about 5 minutes before serving.